Venue: Committee Suite 1,2 & 3, Westfields, Middlewich Road, Sandbach CW11 1HZ. View directions
Contact: Carole Roberts - Democratic Services Team Tel: 01270 529733 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: There will be a Briefing for Members at 2.00pm followed by meeting with Trade Union representatives at 3.00pmItems No. Item
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
To provide an opportunity for Members and Officers to declare any personal and/or prejudicial interests in any item on the agenda
Councillor D Flude declared a personal interest as a retired member of UNISON.
PUBLIC SPEAKING TIME/OPEN SESSION
In accordance with Procedure Rules Nos.11 and 35 a total period of 10 minutes is allocated for members of the public to address the Committee on any matter relevant to the work of the Committee.
Individual members of the public may speak for up to 5 minutes but the Chairman will decide how the period of time allocated for public speaking will be apportioned where there are a number of speakers.
Note: In order for officers to undertake any background research it would be helpful if questions were submitted at least one working day before the meeting.
There were no members of the public present.
EXCLUSION OF THE PRESS AND PUBLIC
The reports relating to the remaining items on the agenda have been withheld from public circulation and deposit pursuant to Section 100(B)(2) of the Local Government Act 1972 on the grounds that the matters may be determined with the press and public excluded.
The Committee may decide that the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following items pursuant to Section 100(A)4 of the Local Government Act 1972 on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Paragraphs 1 and 2 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Local Government Act 1972 and public interest would not be served in publishing the information.
PART 2 – MATTERS TO BE CONSIDERED WITHOUT THE PUBLIC AND PRESS PRESENT
RESOLVED - That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following items pursuant to Section 100(A)4 of the Local Government Act 1972 on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Paragraphs 1, 2, 3 and 4 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Local Government Act 1972 and public interest would not be served in publishing the information.
To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 19 December 2008.
RESOLVED – That the minutes of the meeting held on 19 December 2008 be approved as a correct record.
HEAD OF SERVICES FOR CHILDREN AND FAMILIES
To consider a report of the Strategic Director – People on this position.
The Committee considered a report of the Strategic Director – People regarding the vacant post of Head of Services for Children and Families within the structure of the People Directorate.
RESOLVED – That the recommendations as set out in the report be approved.
SENIOR APPOINTMENTS BY OFFICERS
Note: In accordance with Section 100B(4)(b) of the Local Government Act 1972, the Chairman agreed to allow consideration of this item as a matter of urgency in order to ensure that appointees were in post as soon as possible.
Members of the corporate management team had been appointed by the Committee in accordance with the Shadow Council’s Standing Orders. The remainder of the senior level appointments were to be made by officers, with the Council’s consultants, Gatenby Sanderson.
The Committee was requested to confirm the officer appointments to the following posts, which had been notified to Cabinet: Head of Children and Families, Head of Adults, Head of Health and Wellbeing, Head of Transformation, Head of Regeneration, Head of Planning and Policy, Head of Environmental Services, Head of Safer and Stronger Communities.
The Committee was also requested to endorse the appointment by the Borough Solicitor to the Deputy Chief Officer posts reporting directly to him, prior to their notification to Cabinet.
In addition, the Committee was requested to consider recommending to Council that delegated authority be granted to officers to make future senior appointments.
1. That the reasons for urgency as set out in the report be recorded.
2. That the officer appointments as set out in paragraph 1.4(a) of the report be endorsed.
3. That the appointments to the posts of Head of Legal Services and Head of Democratic Services as set out in paragraph 1.4(b) of the report be endorsed, subject to notification to Cabinet.
4. That it be recommended to Council that the Chief Executive or any officer appointed by her be granted delegated authority to make the remaining senior appointments covered by the Employment Procedure Rules, subject to notification to Cabinet where so required under the rules.
5. That the present intention of the Chief Executive to use her urgency powers between now and the Council meeting where appropriate to confirm the appointments be noted.
BRIEFING FOR TRADE UNION MEETING
Members to be given a briefing prior to their meeting with the Trade union representatives at 3.00pm when the following matters will be considered: -
- To agree the note of the meeting held on 27 November 2008 (copy attached)
- Matters arising
- Budget Consultation – to consult the trade unions on the proposals for the 2009/10 Council budget.
- Proposals for Appointments at Fourth Tier – to consider the trade union response.
- Shared Services – to brief the trade unions on the latest position.
- Flexible and Mobile Working – to consider the trade unions response.
- Locations – to brief the trade unions on the latest position.
- Date of Next Meeting – Monday 16 February 2009.
Members were briefed prior to a meeting with representatives of the Trade Unions.
MEETING WITH THE TRADE UNIONS
Craig Nicholson, the Vice Chairman of the Staffing Committee Consultation and Negotiation Meetings with the Trade Unions, chaired the meeting.
The following items were discussed:
1. To agree the notes of the meeting held on 27 November 2008.
2. Matters Arising.
3. Proposals for the 2009/10 Council budget.
4. Proposals for Appointments at Fourth Tier.
5. Shared Services.
6. Flexible and Mobile working.
8. Date of Next Meeting.
Councillor R Domleo (Vice-Chairman In The Chair)